12.7.17

Movie review: okja


This okja thing appeared on Netflix and it looked so childish. Then, all of a sudden I got a positive buzz from my vegan friends on facebook: you have to see okja, it's a beautiful movie! Oh well, why not?

Let me say this first: I cried for 30 minutes after this movie. It is so moving. It is so true and sad.

If you haven't seen it yet, you also might not get what the whole buzz is about, so let me explain. Okja is a movie about a super pig, who grows up in the mountains with this cute little girl. That's how the movie starts off. You still don't get why this movie is great or cool, right? I didn't get it either. I thought it was about the great pictures. Until sh*t gets real. The true story that this movie wants to tell you is about the food industry. How animals are handled before they end up on your plate. And also, where they really come from. It gets so real, even though it is about a super pig in super unreal circumstances that it just hits you: people are horrible creatures and they are capable of doing unimaginable things to other creatures. Okja might not be real, but cows on steroids are very much existing.

I think the great thing about this movie is that you don't even see it coming. My sister walked in my room asking if there was any violence in the movie, because she doesn't like that and I told her: "No, this is about a funny super pig!". Then, after the end I went to her room, crying and told her that she should skip this one if she doesn't like the truth. Some people might truly not get the point of this movie, but a lot of us will. And they will be touched.

Would I recommend this movie? Yes. But I'm giving you a warning: it will leave you thinking and very, very sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment